Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What If The Church Danced??

12 Now King David was told, "The LORD has blessed the household of Obed-Edom and everything he has, because of the ark of God." So David went down and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with rejoicing. 13 When those who were carrying the ark of the LORD had taken six steps, he sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf. 14 David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might, 15 while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouts and the sound of trumpets.

II Samuel 6:12-15



What if the church dance? Really danced? Just because God is God? Danced for joy??




2 They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion;
they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD—
the grain, the new wine and the oil,
the young of the flocks and herds.
They will be like a well-watered garden,
and they will sorrow no more.

3 Then maidens will dance and be glad,
young men and old as well.
I will turn their mourning into gladness;
I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:12-13

By now, you've probably seen THIS video....If you haven't you really should....and leave your inhibitions and how you think things 'should' be done, and allow yourself to be caught up in the joy displayed here.


What if the church displayed this kind of joy? See, to understand what I am talking about, you have to watch THIS! I can only imagine people would be drawn to it! We are all looking for a measure of joy in our lives. I challenge you to try God as He really is the only source of true joy. Of course there are many things that can give us happiness. Our children, our marriages, our friends, our hobbies. But, for me, only God can give me true joy. The kind of joy that lets me do this:
with a migraine. Dancing for joy in the Lord!!
A couple of years ago, Kevin had the kids at our sister church, Sharonville UMC and my kids were having a blast. They were running around the lobby like it was their personal playground. And some of the 'Propriety Police' were frowning on it. Kevin was trying to calm them down, when our dear friend, Pastor Jim said, "That's right kids. Stop having fun! If people knew that church was fun, they might want to come!"
What a statement.

If people knew that church was fun, they might want to come. If we danced for joy before the Lord, people would want to come!
Oh, the freedom that comes from dancing for joy before the Lord!


What if the church danced?

9 comments:

KK said...

Its definitely time for some dancing!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I've always loved that the Scripture puts dancing as the opposite of mourning... there's a lesson there, I think.

Kate said...

LOVE that post!

When our praise team starts up certain songs a lot of our youth have dances with them. It's catching on and slowly filtering into the older generations. I love to watch the faces of vistors when those songs come up and they are shocked...then slowly, they smile and dance along. It just fires you up and feels so good to be in the house of the Lord...why not show it!!!

Stacey said...

Very cool post, Tonni! I love it!

Mommakitten said...

I love the fact that Grace got to catch a glimpse of what we had in Cuba. Now granted it was a very small glimpse, but it is coming Tonni! It is coming! God is moving in Grace, and He is telling us to Sing, Shout, Dance, and Glorify HIS name!!!

Kari said...

What a great post! We dance at our church . . . actual choreography too! We've done it all-ballet, jazz and even tap. Praise His name with dancing indeed. Thanks for such great words today!

Anita said...

Hey Tonni - I'm right there with ya...if not in body...certainly in Spirit...HIS Spirit! :) I soooo often wished I lived in another counry...such as Haiti, Africa, where the freedom to worship is overflowing...if only others could get a glimpse of what Heaven is really like and gonna be like...they'd all be on their feet and dancing! I guess that's part of our job to somehow give them that glimpse! :) HUGS!!

Our 7 Blessings from God said...

Have you ever heard the song "Undignified?" Your post makes me sing:)
"I will dance, I will sing, to be mad for my King...
Nothing Lord is hindering this passion in my soul!!!"

Sharon said...

Tonni, I LOVE this post! It is just what I needed today!

I LOVE YOU! :) Thank you for being my friend and my sister!

Hugs!