Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Moments That Make It All Worth It....Grace


(Don't you love her self portrait?)


This year, we've been letting Gracie stay up later than her siblings. A whole half an hour. (To listen to Olivia you would think it was HOURS....) It has afforded us great time to just talk to her, by herself. No one else tells us what she meant to say, or interrupts or anything!

Last night we were watching a show together. A reality weight loss show that I generally think is pretty child safe. But a couple of the contestant were swearing. A lot. It lead to a discussion about not always needing to use language others use.

I mentioned that, as she is getting older, she is going to hear a lot more inappropriate language from her friends. But that doesn't mean she has to use it.

And my baby girl looked at me and said, "I know, Mom. I am never going to talk like that. It is not appropriate and God doesn't like it."

I love that girl!!

3 comments:

erin richardson said...

she really is a great kid, Tonni. you & kevin really are great parents.

Dawn said...

Good girl!!!!

A week or so ago at school someone was talking about swearing, and they asked Kait if she ever swore. She said no, he asked her if she went to church, and she wasn't sure of where he was going with that question but she said yes, and his response was, "I could tell. That's great." She said she didn't know what to say, he wasn't a friend just someone who was talking to her in a class. I told her I was proud of her not only for not swearing, but for also being such an obvious witness to others of her faith even when she isn't trying.

a Tonggu Momma said...

She's right - it's not appropriate. Maybe she needs to tell others to get it together. LOL.