Thursday, September 24, 2009

Disappointment

I don't usually post here about political things or television. But I am greatly bothered by a new show on F0x. It is a show that I really really wanted to like. You have to know that I am pretty much a geek and LOVE music. I love singing. Any guesses? (And I am really excited about the new Fame* movie coming out this week.)

I really really wanted to like Glee*. REALLY! I'm married to a music teacher! And I look just like the actress who plays the wife of the show choir director on the program. (Okay, not really.) The first episode I liked a lot. I thought the Celibacy Club thing was little tasteless, but that's okay. Something I could overlook.

I've been so saddened by the turn the show has taken the last two weeks. I don't need to watch teenagers singing about sex, engaged in sex, etc. Okay, yes, I know that lots of teenagers have sex. That doesn't mean I need to watch it. I am even more saddened that we, as a society, have condoned this behavior by turning it into entertainment. I am angry that the target audience of the this show is obviously, as evidenced by it's 9:00 time slot, teenagers. I am angry that the teenager girls in the "Celibacy Club" use sex to control the behavior of the teenage boys. I am angry that praying to Jesus (in the first episode) to remain celibate is seen as a joke. I am angry that what could be a wholesome family show is what it is.

I am saddened that some Christians I know think that this is wonderfully written and funny. I personally think that a teenage boy 'servicing' adult women that he works for is not original or funny. I am saddened that the network thinks that we (the general public) are not smart enough to enjoy a funny, well written show that isn't smothered in gratuitous sex.

Maybe I have offended you, or made you think. All I know is that this is not what I would allow my children to watch at any age if they are living in my home. Because I don't want them to find it funny or to think that this behavior is okay. And it is not what I want on my television if Jesus should come back tonight.

14 comments:

Andrea said...

It is so true that the shows today and music are just offensive. You are right!

Stacey said...

I agree. I haven't seen the show, and hadn't even heard of it, but it's definitely not something I would watch, or want my kids to watch. The Fox channel is frequently putting on shows that are a-moral, and I tend not to watch that channel (hence the reason I didn't even know about the show!). Thanks, Tonni, for being outspoken. Thanks for making others aware.

Anita said...

Haven't even seen it yet, but now I know I won't be watching it. Thank you!! It is so unfortunate that Hollywood really chooses this over and over again for entertainment.

Dawn said...

Agree. Agree. Agree.

We had high hopes for this show that were quickly dashed.

For a network that prides themselves in being "fair and balanced" with regards to news, they certainly are not fair or balanced in the area of family values.

alainaw30 said...

You know...I watched the pilot out of curiosity and had absolutely no interest after that. I'd like to say that I only watch "wholesome" television, but the fact is that I overlook a lot of what I see. However, this show really did put me off after the first episode last spring. The tasteless humor aside, I just found it to be a really stupid show.

Dawn said...

hmmm, I am going to have to check this show out. Kait was very upset that she missed this show last night. I'm not sure if she has actually seen it yet or if she was just looking forward to see what all the hype was about. She is sleeping off a headache now so I will check with her when she gets up. THANKS for the heads up!

KK said...

See, I was against it because of the cheese factor, (I"ll admit I haven't seen it at all), then everyone was posting about how great it was and I thought maybe I'd try an episode...now I'm thinking I don't need another show anyway. Thanks for helping me figure that one out!

CC said...

I haven't seen it and haven't really heard great things about it.

Kari said...

Actually, I appreciate your honesty. I've been reading a lot of posts on Facebook about how wonderful the show is . . . I'm really glad to hear your take on it. Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

So I'm going to be the black sheep...

Although I'd never allow my children to watch it, or anything on Fox for that matter, I enjoy Glee. Even though the humor is dark, sexual content is spread throughout...people should be careful not to judge too harshly before analyzing what comes into their homes. You can't turn on the TV and not see scandalous behavior..anywhere. Commercials, Sports, Nickelodeon..etc. Even some of these shows/movies that our children watch...Hannah Montana (Miley is a great role model--NOT), High School Musical (Lead girl likes to pose nude in real life)..the material is loose, inappropriate and probably not for "Christian Eyes" either. But we drink the marketing kool-aid. We feed it to our kids. Sin is sin...no matter what our eyes choose to see. We allow our children to dress and sing songs from HSM---promoting stereotypes and promiscuity. Our husbands watch Monday Night Football doused with beer ads and scantily clad women. Not to mention the character of some of the athletes. Jesus would probably frown upon most of what we watch. Thinking about it, I would imagine that Jesus wouldn't be a television watcher! =)

Anyway, as a music and Broadway lover, I find Glee different and I enjoy the performances. The sexual content is quite offensive, I agree. If I turned a blind eye because of the lack of family values...then I might as well unplugged the TV. I can say that because I DO WATCH, when my husband and I lead youth on Wednesdays and the kids are talking about Glee, we're able to open the floor for some discussion and this past Wednesday we had a great talk about homosexuality.

In saying all of this, we're all entitled to our opinions and I don't completely disagree with yours, but I do think that we all should look at what we bring before us and if you feel the need to clean house before Jesus comes over...then start unplugging the media.

Mommakitten said...

I haven't even heard of the show, and after your review, I am glad that I haven't.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Kate, that is exactly what we are doing!!

Hilty Sprouts said...

I wanted to like this one too and I just couldn't. Bummer!

Nanny said...

I'm going to fight google again and try to comment. I too really wanted to like Glee. After all it's supposed to be based in my home town, Lima, Ohio. I watched it twice but no more. It's a show the contributes to the decay of our society. Teenages are so impressionable. It's bad enough when shows are written to show adults behaving badly. God loves us so much. We must make him very sad.