Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thirsty For God

1 O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
Recently, you may remember, we were all sick. I mean really sick. And I was thirsty. Really really thirsty. Dry mouth, dry throat, cracked lips thirsty. And I wanted a drink of water so badly. It was all I could think about. I couldn't drink, or I'd just be sick again. I was so thirsty I was dreaming about drinking water. Not that there was a whole lot of sleep going on that night.
Several years ago, I got into the habit of praying when I cannot sleep. I makes me a whole lot calmer than lying in bed getting upset because I cannot sleep. God and I have lots of really good conversations when I cannot sleep. Sometimes I think he keeps me up just to talk to me.
So, I'm lying in bed talking to God. Mainly telling him how incredibly thirsty I am. And he could have reprimanded me. Reminded me of the 40 days (not hours, DAYS) he spent in the desert without food and water. But he listened to me whine for a while. Then he whispered in my ear, "I wish you were that thirsty for me."

4 comments:

Susan said...

That is not only a beautiful post, but it also really makes you think. Thank you for sharing this!

Mommakitten said...

Oh Tonni. How great is our God to give you such a powerful message? Thank you for blogging that, and making the blogging world think.

Holly said...

Wow. What a tender and loving God we serve.

Anita said...

Ahh.....He says that to all of us if we would just take those "awake" moments to hear HIM!